Saturday, October 25, 2008

More on Hawaii (Part 2)

(I've found this blog rather difficult to set up and add the photos. My previous Hawaii post took some effort and I didn't want to screw it up now that I finally have it looking reasonably like I want. This is Part 2, so if this is your first view, I would suggest you go to the previous post to get the context of our Great Hawaiin Adventure...OK, perhaps our Little adventure.)
This is Iao Valley, on the western portion of Maui. It is a traditional place among the Hawaiian people, and perhaps even sacred. The early people sought refuge here when attacked by peoples from other islands (yes, they fought among themselves, before Kamehameha I united the various islands into one kingdom.





Here are several of many flower photos I took. On the right is a Hibiscus bush outside the old Courthouse in Lahaina. It is the state flower of Hawaii.






On the left is a Bird of Paradise, taken at the Garden of Eden arboretum, on the road to Hana.
End of the "Road to Hana", in the town of (yep, you guessed it!) Hana. This church is one of the earlier churches, dating back to the 1830's. Apparently one could drive further and see where Charles Lindberg is buried. He lived out his years here in the area, in his quest to avoid people. Good place to do that.
Returning on what we will now call the Road from Hana. We had heard that heavy surf was predicted for the islands later in the weekend, and it looks like this is a precurser of those waves. Can you see the rainbow?

No comments: